Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chelsea and the Piano Bar, Part 2

Chelsea performed one more song...The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, which apparently was another favorite of the crowd's, for they clapped loudly at the end of that one too.

Then she went back to tinkling the ivories as background music and they went back to their interminable chattering.

Wade took a deep breath and took a seat at one of the stools lining the bent side of the piano.

"Hello," he said.

"Mr. Wade," said Chelsea, surprise in her voice.

"I enjoyed your...set, I think it's called?"

"Yes, set," nodded Chelsea with a grin. "Thanks."

That had done it, Wade thought ruefully. He knew it was called a set, he should have just said it. Instead he'd made it sound like what he really was...an observer who knew words out of books, not out of actual experience.

"So you're enjoying the night life of the island," she continued, her hands moving gracefully over the piano keyboard.

"Yes. I ... I didn't realize you were a professional piano player, as well as a scuba guide."

Chelsea smiled. "At one point, when my sisters and I were very young, we were going to form a rock band - like the Pointer Sisters. Our whole family is musically inclined. But we learned that we all preferred scuba diving to singing in front of an audience. So this is a hobby now."

"You're very talented."

"Thank you."

Wade sipped his Pepsi.

"I've enjoyed diving with you," he said at last.

"I'm glad."

"And I have a proposition for you." Chelsea raised her eyebrows at him and he said quickly, "A business proposition, I mean. Scuba business."

She chuckled. "I'm glad to hear it."

"I'm glad that you're glad," Wade said with a smile. "We can't discuss it here. Can I meet with you and your sister tomorrow? At the dock, at noon?"

"Sure," said Chelsea.

"Very good. I shall leave you now."

He stood up, nodded at her, and quickly threaded his way through the tables and out of the room.

Chelsea stared after his retreating figure, a slight grin on her face. He certainly was...what was the term...abrupt. Not too aware of the social niceties. Kind of like Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in Pride and Prejudice.

Absent-mindedly, Chelsea began playing the theme song of that TV production.

No comments:

Post a Comment